"Change Your Password"-day 2022 - needful or outdated?!

It’s that time of the year again! No, I’m not talking about Christmas time. Ten years ago, on 1st February 2012 the first “Change Your Password”-day was initiated to pay attention to the security of a password.

While many argue about the sense of those kind of National Days, others, especially those who rarely care about the dangers of using insecure passwords, might actually benefit from being reminded to this topic.

On the other hand, changing your PW every 12 months by just replacing one number or character for the sake of changing it at all won’t make a huge difference, if it’s still easy to hack, right?

So, while it might have been a good idea in the first place, the term “Change Your Password”-day feels very outdated to me and should be altered to “Day Of Strong Passwords” or “Use 2FA and Password Managers”-day. :smiley:

What do you think? Do we need an updated version of “Change Your Password”-day or do we need it at all?

I agree with you. “Day Of Strong Passwords” or “Use 2FA and Password Managers-day” would be more appropriate today. Then, I believe it is still a good idea to change passwords if you use duplicates for different services.

1 Like