Running Cloudogu on Proxmox VE

Hi,

wondering if you might help me to run a Cloudogu VM on a Proxmox VE server. As my laptop memory is quite limited and the Cloudogu VM stresses my PC a lot, I got the idea to move the Cloudogu VM running in VitualBox on my laptop to my Proxmox server. As that one has plenty of ram and cpus, that system is a better place to run the Cloudogu Ecosystem. So far, the Ecosystem ran more or less in test state. But as I more and more really using it - especially the SCM Manager and Jenkins - I want to run it on my centralized VM env.

Initially, this post had been created in the old forum, but had not been moved to the new one. I copied most of the original post, but meanwhile I moved a bit forward.
Meanwhile, I know how to either move an existing VirtualBox VM to Proxmox VE, or how to use your VirtualBox ova file to create a new VM.
In case you think it might be interesting to have a howto about the steps I did, I´m happy to write some helpful lines.
Anyhow, the next situation I see now is that the IP address which I prepared for the VM is not appearing during the boot process. Furthermore, it looks like that the interface is not the correct one.
So, I´m not able to connect the EcoSystem via Browser to start the installation if I try to setup a fresh EcoSystem.

If I start the moved VM that I initially installed inside VirtualBox, I have the same situation more or less. It looks like, that the VM has no proper interface for the connection to Proxmox/outside world.

First tries were to change the netcard mode for the VM - used E1000 (same as in VirtualBox), VirtIO and vmxnet3. But it did not help, yet. But didn´t spend a lot of time for the issue as my time is limited up to Friday at the moment.

In case you have an idea why the proper outside IP is not appearing, I really appreciate your help.

Many thanks and best regards, Sascha

1 Like

Hey Sascha,

thanks for reaching out. I passed your request to our CES team and will get back to you, when we’ve found a solution for your problem.

Best regards, Maik

Hey Maik,

had some time today to look on my problem again. Compared the network interfaces that will appear if the Ecosystem will be started on VirtualBox and on Proxmox VE.
It seems that the ova netplan file uses the following interface name for a bridged Interface if a E1000 adapter will be used:

/etc/netplan# cat 00-installer-config.yaml
#This is the network config written by ‘subiquity’
network:
ethernets:
enp0s3:
dhcp4: true
version: 2
root@ces:/etc/netplan#

But that name will not be used in Proxmox, independent using E1000, VMXNET3 or other netcard in the hardware tab. Checking lshw output, the following name is in use for E1000:

lshw -class network
WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 12
bus info: pci@0000:00:12.0
logical name: ens18
version: 03
serial: 72:e0:62:6f:20:ba

So, I modified the netplan file and restarted the VM. Voila, the VM has the necessary interface with the corresponding IP:

cat /etc/netplan/00-installer-config.yaml
network:
ethernets:
ens18:

ip a | grep ens18
2: ens18: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UP group default qlen 1000
inet 192.168.xxx.yyy/24 brd 192.168.xxx.255 scope global dynamic ens18
ces-admin@ces:~$

Wondering why the wrong name appears in the netplan file. Will this information not be changed automatically - depending what adapter name is available? Is it working that way, that this file is static?

For now, the VM is in the setup window inside the Browser. Will continue tomorrow.

Cheers,
Sascha

Hey Sascha,

thanks for your update. Our team has already taken a look on your issue and is working on a solution.
Please have a little patience and thanks again for sharing your thoughts with us!

Best wishes,
Maik

Hey Maik,
It seems that is is really enough to modify the netplan file. The setup finished successfully. After the installation, I was able to login to the Ecosystem.

Best regards, Sascha

2 Likes

Hello Sascha,

great that you have found a solution! Can you tell us what needs to be changed in the netplan configuration and publish it here?
Running the ecosystem on Proxmox VE is an excellent and exciting idea that we would definitely like to take up again in the future.

Best regards

Hey,

sure. Please see the output of the original netplan file in /etc/netplan folder:
/etc/netplan# cat 00-installer-config.yaml
network:
ethernets:
enp0s3:
root@ces:/etc/netplan#

For me it seems, that the ethernet name enp0s3 is not working for Proxmox.
Independent using E1000, VMXNET3 or other netcard in the hardware tab for a Proxmox VM, the lshw output shows another netcard name. The following output is for a E1000 netcard used in Hardware tab for the Cloudogu VM:

lshw -class network
WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 12
bus info: pci@0000:00:12.0
logical name: ens18
version: 03
serial: 72:e0:62:6f:20:ba

So, I modified the netplan file and restarted the VM. Voila, the VM has the necessary interface with the corresponding IP:

cat /etc/netplan/00-installer-config.yaml
network:
ethernets:
ens18:

ip a | grep ens18
2: ens18: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UP group default qlen 1000
inet 192.168.xxx.yyy/24 brd 192.168.xxx.255 scope global dynamic ens18

Without the change of the netplan file, there is neither an enp0s3 adapter, nor ens18 in the “ip a” output available and the VM has no network connection to the outside network infrastructure.

In case you need a short howto how to setup the Proxmox VM based on your Virtualbox Image, please let me know. Due to Proxmox is not able to use the ova file directly, there are some preparing steps necessary.

Best regards,
Sascha

6 Likes

Hello @sbiallas,

thanks again for the offered solution to run the EcoSystem on Proxmox. We also set up an EcoSystem on Proxmox once and tried your solution. It worked wonderfully.

Best regards,
Joshua

3 Likes

Hello Community,

if you want to run a Cloudogu EcoSystem on a Proxmox hypervisor too, you can find a great tutorial from my colleague @anon17631922 at docs.cloudogu.com.

Special thanks goes to our community member @sbiallas for his help!

Enjoy, Nina

3 Likes